Don’t you just love beef stew? Beef stew, to me, is comfort food. You know, that tummy-warming, creamy, great tasting food served in one dish. Eating comfort food is like getting a hug on the inside.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- Add the stew beef to the crockpot, sprinkling it with onion flakes. Some of the beef pieces may be a little large. If so, cut them down to size before putting them in the cooker.
- Peel and cut your potatoes. Place them on one side of the cooker, on top.
- Add the carrots to the top on the other side.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Check the veggies. If they are undercooked, you may want to remove them and microwave them some. If they are getting too soft and dinnertime is far away, either reduce the heat to LOW or WARM or remove the veggies and allow the beef to continue to cook. With experience, you will be able to gauge the timing so that none of this adjusting is necessary.
- Add Cream of Mushroom soup 30 minutes before serving. The juices from the beef should dilute it enough to make it just the right consistency. Start with 2 cans. If it there is not enough gravy or it is too thin, add the third can.
- Sprinkle 1 T. dry Knorr brown gravy mix and mix it through for flavoring.
- Add the frozen peas and mix through. They will thaw quickly and be just right without precooking.
- Ready to serve in 5 minutes.