- Cream the butter and sugar using electric mixer for 3 minutes on high.
- Separate the eggs. Add yolks and vanilla Place the egg whites in a shallow dish on the side…to be used to dip the cookies before baking.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350°.
- Whisk the egg whites till frothy.
- Roll the dough into balls* about 1 inch in diameter and dip them in egg whites. If using nuts, then roll them into the nuts until covered.
- Place the balls on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Press down in the center with your thumb to make a small indent in the center of the cookie. Do not press too hard or the cookie will fall apart.
- Fill with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly firm. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet to firm up before moving them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
TIP: the dough will stick to your hands, big-time. Leave your water faucet running slightly so that you can get your hands damp before each ball. The ball will smooth nicely and the stickiness will be greatly reduced.
Make some jam thumbprint cookies for your next special event!