Create fond memories while you make great family meals. Teach your kids how to cook. This special time will be a favorite part of your week that is worth repeating again and again – I promise!
This blog contains affiliate links. ♥
5 Fringe Benefits Of Teaching Your Kids How To Cook
As you explore the world of cooking together, you will discover there are fringe benefits. Teaching your kids to cook can lead to…
- Quality Communication – it is amazing what you will learn as you listen to your kids share at the kitchen counter. This is a great opportunity to get to know each other better. Be a good listener and ready to laugh! Nothing is too trivial to chat about. Just let them talk.
- Peace – i.e. a technology-free zone! Yes, you can finally get all those devices TURNED OFF! Make a team agreement that you will turn off the phones, laptops, video games, etc. for this special time together. Everything can be recharging while you are cooking something spectacular in the kitchen. Have the power cords and docking station ready before you start. Turn off the phones, plug them in, and get busy.
- Teachable Moments – cooking is educational. Teach your kids how to read the recipes. Show them how to prepare for cooking by pulling together the ingredients, bowls, pans, measuring cups, spoons and other tools. Learning how to cook teaches children how to:
- Read accurately
- Pay attention to detail
- Use math skills for measuring and timing.
- Take turns
- Follow through on projects from start to finish.
- Appreciate each others work.
- Team Work – cooking together encourages cooperating with each other. Learning to work on a team is a great life-lesson. Let your kids make grocery lists, check for ingredients, plan menus, and help them learn how to implement their plan.The Pride of Accomplishment – Congratulations! You have made something delicious together. Consider putting a collection of the recipes together in a binder. Eventually, you can publish a family cookbook of your very own.
Create your own in-home curriculum for teaching your kids how to cook or buy one already set up for you! The cooking class curriculum from Kids Cook Real Food is highly recommended and will cut your planning time way down!
Here is a list of fun tools:
- Chef Hats
- Beginners Cookbook for Kids
- Colorful mixing bowls
- Special Binder (for making your own cookbook together)
- Bright colored non-stick baking mats
- 35 Piece Child-Safe Cooking Kit for Kids
- Docking station for recharging your technology
However you decide to put your cooking lessons together – just do it. You and your kids will value this precious family time together as you build lasting memories.