When you step into the role of caregiver, planning is your best friend. As you divide up the work load among your team members remember that good communication is key. Get together over a cup of coffee and discuss who will do what.
- Make a list of what needs to be done. Dependng on the person’s needs these things may include: household chores, shopping, paying bills, setting appointments, transportation to appointments, organizing medications, doing their laundry, help with meals.
- Decide which duties each one is able to perform and when.
- Select a leader to be the point-person. (i.e. if you are unable to get things done on time or are running into other difficultes, that is the person who you will call.)
- Keep in touch with each other. (ie. if you took grandpa to his dental appointment, call or email the team to let them know how it went and what the next step will be.)
- Plan some fun times with your loved one and each other. Watch a movie together, play a game of cards, scrapbook or just visit and catch up on old times.
Keep things as simple as possible and be sure to write things down. I love my smart phone but having had a few glitches with it has taught me that an old fashioned checklist can do a person a world of good!