By Sinea Pies
“Eggs in a Basket” is a delicious quick breakfast that the egg-lovers in your family will love. Fun and easy to make.
When I was a little girl, this is a dish my mother made to break the monotony of the cereal – scrambled eggs – pancakes routine. It became a family favorite.
How do you make it? Simply put, you cut a whole in the center of slices of bread, place them in a warm buttered skillet, crack an egg in each hole then cook them, turning once.
Eggs in a Basket may sound complicated to make but its not. The important thing to remember is to keep the skillet on medium-high heat and watch it so that they don’t burn. Don’t raise the temperature. The extra minute you save by turning the heat up too high will ruin an otherwise great breakfast.
- Heat skillet on medium.
- Cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread using a small cup as you would a cookie cutter. If you can’t find one, cut them out with a table knife.
- Keep the holes. You will be browning them right next to your bread.
- Melt butter in the pan (at least 1 T) and place the bread in it, including the holes.
- Break an egg in the center of each slice of bread.
- Cook until you can see that the part underneath has turned white.
- Flip them and continue to cook to desired doneness. You will want to be sure that all of the white is cooked. I prefer the yokes to be runny, but you may like yours more well-done.
- Total time: 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
How To Cook Bacon In The Oven
Serve immediately or place the cooked bacon in a freezer bag with a clean paper towel inside and freeze it.
Line jelly roll pans with foil. Lay the raw bacon out on them.
Place them in COLD oven. Set temperature for 400°.
When done, place cooked bacon on a piece of paper towel to soak up the excess grease.
What are your favorite bacon dishes?
Some of my favorite BACON dishes are: