If you are looking for a different kind of craft to make with your kids, try painting rocks. It is fun and full of possibilities for gift giving. Painted rocks make great paper weights, accents for gardens, even game pieces for tic tac toe! What other ways can you think of for using painted rocks?
How to Paint Rocks
This blog contains affiliate links. ♥
1. First, find some smooth stones or rocks. You may have them right in your own backyard but, if you don’t, stop by your local Dollar Tree and buy some. They often have collections of rocks in their craft section and it costs, you guessed it, a DOLLAR!
2. Next, wash and dry the stones.
3. Paint each stone with a base color that will be your background. Use Acrylic Outdoor Paints. For texture, you can dot the paint with a dry sponge. Allow each rock to dry well before proceeding to the next step.
4. Now, lightly draw the outline of your design onto the rock. You will use it as a guide for the paint. Chalk or pencil work well for drawing the pattern or words on.
5. Carefully paint the design, using a different brush for each color. Again, allow the paint to dry unless it is your intention is to blend colors. If so, go for it and mix away!
6. Finally, paint the whole rock with a clear sealant such as Modge Podge to protect the color.
Tip: if you will be layering colors, dry each layer well before adding the next one.
Delightful Design Ideas for Rock Painting
Here are some delightful design ideas for rock painting. Do not let the artistic expertise scare you. Some of the cutest little rock paintings have been made by amateurs like you and me! How about making pet rocks or pet CACTUS rocks [pictured below!] Cutest idea ever!
Acrylic paint pens for painting rocks, ceramic, glass, wood, fabric and more! #Ad
Tic Tac Toe Game With Painted Stones
Burlap and jute drawstring bags / pouches for jewelry and even tic tac toe pieces #ad
Inspirational DIY Painted Rocks
Encouraging Words – Adventure Is Out There Rocks
Rock painting kit for kids and adults, too! Fun for the whole family. #Ad
How to PAINT ROCKS for fun! Make them as paper weights, garden decor, #DIY gifts ... even make a travel tic tac toe game! #crafts #giftideas Click To Tweet
What other designs and uses can you think of for rock painting?
Your painted rocks are adorable! A wonderful craft I’d love to do with my 4 grandchildren.
Thank you Pat! I was thinking they could make great Teacher Appreciation gifts!
Lisa | Handmade in Israel
Love, love, love the owls! Such a great idea. #HappinessisHomemade
I’ve painted rocks before, though I’m not the best. I have a friend that is SO good at it – she’s done one of those Adventure is Out There rocks. I love the Under the Sea ones – the little googly eyes are a fun touch.
Lots of great examples for inspiring us to paint rocks! I collected some rocks out of my yard last year, but still have yet to paint them. It’s on my long list of crafts to try!