By Sinea Pies
Baking soda is an essential and inexpensive household item that is useful in so many ways.
First and foremost, it is used for the obvious: BAKING!
Not to be confused with baking powder, baking soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate.
Baking powder has baking soda in it, along with some cream of tartar.
Baking soda and baking powder are both used to make baked goods rise by producing carbon dioxide as the batter cooks.
In addition to an essential ingredient for baking, baking soda is a great deodorizer, polisher, cleanser and even itch-remover!
Here are 15 GREAT USES for BAKING SODA!
1. Baking: As we said, baking soda is a key ingredient in most baked goods, including one of Martha Stewart’s favorite dessert: CUPCAKES (check out these 31 photos of yummy specialty cupcakes)!!! Click to buy Martha’s Cupcake Cookbook here.
2. Toothpaste: You can buy toothpaste that contains the ingredient or make your own. Just put a little baking soda in a dish with some salt. Wet your brush, dip it in caking it up on the brush, and gently brush your teeth. They’ll gleam!
3. Eliminate Refrigerator Smells: Open a box and put it in the frig. Mark the date on the box first and recycle every 30 days for freshness.
4. Carpet deodorizer: Sprinkle some baking soda on the carpet, leave for 15 minutes and then vacuum.
5. Exfoliate: Make a paste of baking soda and water, gently scrub your face and body for a natural, safe clean. Rinse off with water.
6.Cleaning Baby Toys: dilute 4 T. baking soda in 1 quart warm water. Use the solution to wash the toys, then rinse and wipe clean.
7. Drain Opener: pour some dry baking soda down a slow running drain. Add vinegar and listen to it fizz! Wait 10 minutes. Follow it with a quart of very hot water. Voila! Free flowing drain.
8. Insect Bites: apply a paste of baking soda and water to stop the itch.
9. Science Projects: remember the famous science fair project, the Erupting Volcano? Baking soda and vinegar are what makes it work!
10. Hair Clarifier: use a lot of gels, mousse and other sticky hair products? Remove that build-up once a week by adding a tiny pinch of baking soda to your shampoo. Lather up and rinse.
11. Antacid: remember the old movies where they ordered a bicarb for a sour stomach? They were asking for baking soda. It still works today! Check the directions on the package before using.
12. Fight Fires: Keep a box of baking soda near the stove in case of a grease fire. Quickly toss some baking soda on the fire and extinguish it instantly.
|Mr.Coffee Coffee Maker|
13. Clean Your Coffee Maker: Make a solution of 1/4 cup of baking soda and a quart of warm water to clean your coffee maker, coffee mugs and pot. Your coffee will taste great!
14. Remove Grease Stains from Clothes: make a paste of baking soda and water. Apply it to the stains. Add a little baking soda to the wash load, as well.
15. Freshen Your Sponges: Sponges smelling a little raunchy? Don’t give them up just yet. Make a strong solution of baking soda and warm water and let them soak.
BONUS USE: Deodorizer Sneakers and Shoes! This works so well, I just had to add it. If you have SMELLY SNEAKERS, sprinkle baking soda into them and shake the excess out. Go head and wear them. They will be so much better. In my experience, mine no longer smelled bad at all!
Arm and Hammer is the brand name that comes to mind when we think of baking soda. Their website is full of great baking soda ideas as well as a list of their cleaning and deodorizing products. If you have pets, you’ve got to try their pet odor eliminator carpet powder. It removes the smell and helps to get up the pet hair better than ever!