Just a few days ago, I announced that I have FINALLY lost weight and kept it off for the first time in my whole life! You can read my story here. The way that I did it was on the Trim Healthy Mama Plan. It is not a diet. It is food freedom and oh do I love it!
This blog contains affiliate links. ♥
So, what is Trim Healthy Mama, anyway? When following the simple principles of Trim Healthy Mama (or THM for short,) you will find that you can eat food from every food group. Nothing is excluded. Enjoy meats, fish, poultry, eggs, butter, seafood, fruits, vegetables, yogurt, cheese, nuts and grains.
Yummy desserts abound on Trim Healthy Mama but, rather than tacking them onto the end of a meal, their philosophy is “Why not HAVE it as a meal!” I love that!
The recipes are endless, though it is not necessary to become a gourmet cook. You can just snack your way through, if you don’t want to make elaborate meals. This way of life is liberating and will become second nature soon as you get the hang of it. You will find that, with little effort, you are now eating in a very healthy way. Not only will you start experiencing the magical “Trim Healthy Mama shrink” but you will feel better, too.
It is not my desire to recreate their book but I do want to give you a glimpse of the basic principles. If you are hungry to know more, either borrow the book from the library, browse their website or buy a copy. I am guessing that you will do what I did. After I browsed the library version, I had to get my own. I was going for it. I lost 16 pounds in about 10 months. Nice and slow and steady. I am short, so 16 pounds makes a big difference on me. The greatest triumph was in keeping it off even during the holidays. That is a first for me!
How To Do the Trim Healthy Mama Plan
- Know that too much glucose in the bloodstream is the cause of overweight and our modern diet is the culprit.
- We get energy from our food and there are two primary sources of energy: carbohydrates and fats.
- Eating carbohydrates and fats will promote weight loss if they are eaten APART from each other. This is key!
- The presence of protein is vital every time you eat. Protein will prompt your body to produce the fat-burning hormone “glucagon.” So, whenever you eat something say to yourself “Where’s the protein?”
- Eat decadent S-meals [S = Satisfying] rich with protein and fats and very few carbs. The S-meals are what many of us would call “low carb” meals. The carbs can come from green leafy vegetables and other low glycemic veggies.
- Mix it up with some E-meals [E=Energizing] These meals have almost no fats. They are made up of healthy grains (like oats, quinoa or brown rice) lean protein like chicken or fish or even plain fat-free Greek yogurt, fruits and veggies. As you can see in my Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes with blueberries E-meal recipe you can have a tiny dollop of butter, for flavor. These pancakes taste so good. I have them at least once a week!
- If you eat an S meal and the next one is going to be an E meal, be sure that you eat them 2 1/2 to 3 hours apart.
These 7 points are the very simple basics that I keep in mind as I construct my meals every day. Don’t stop with this simple summary, though. Take a look at their book and get the full picture. If you don’t want to start with the full book, Trim Healthy Mama Plan, they have a new “bare bones” summary book available that will give you a nice overview. But, I am telling you, you are going to want the whole book when you get started. You will love it!