This blog contains affiliate links. ♥
I don’t have a cat. Until preparing my preschool lesson, the little I knew about them came from old movies I had seen like “That Darn Cat” or “The Three Lives Of Thomasina” … both timeless classics of the Disney variety (1960’s.)
I do know that little children are fascinated by cats and learning the letter C is so much fun when cats are the topic!
Letter C is for Cat Preschool Lesson
We learned about cats in many ways. We made kitty ear headbands to wear, read a cat book, learned fun facts about cats, saw a cat video, painted faces with cat whiskers, sang a cat song and made a letter C cat craft with pom poms. Here is a simple description of the lesson with free printables plus the video for you to use.
- Make Cat Headbands – simply attach construction paper “kitty ears” to a construction paper band, taped to fit their heads. I printed the ears on white copy paper for them to color and the students cut them out. We wore our cat headbands all day!
Face Painting – we saved face painting until later in the day so that when the parents arrived to pick their children up at the end of the day they could see how cute they looked. The kids who wanted us to paint whiskers on their faces and a dot on their noses, could. I brought in a handheld mirror for them to see what they looked like. About half of my students wanted http://amzn.to/2yNASVShttps://amzn.to/3o1wPiRit and half did not.
- Letter C Cat Craft – this craft is very colorful. I really like the one I found on Pinterest using “cat colored” pom poms but all I had were the multicolored. No problem. It was still fun to make. (Instructions below)
- All about Cats lesson / discussion – I made a page, printed it on card stock and used it as a visual aid to talk about the different characteristics of house cats. I covered each fact with a piece a paper to tear off as they correctly guessed it. So much fun! (Free printable below) Fun Facts About Cats by Science Kids
What Cats Like And What They Do Preschool Lesson
CATS LOVE toys.
CATS LOVE to scratch & climb.
CATS love to eat.
CATS love to watch.
CATS love to sleep (catnap)
CATS PURR when they’re happy.
- All about Cats short video – this video is a great companion for the Cats lesson. Perfect for 3 and 4 year olds. See it right here!
- Cat story – I brought in several cat books from the library. Some were picture books and some were stories.
- Soft Kitty Song – yes, many of us learned this little song from Big Bang Theory. Sheldon’s mom sung it to him whenever he was sick or could not sleep. Perfect song for sweet little children. Perfect for C is for Cat! We sang it again and again. (Lyrics below)
Soft Kitty Song Lyrics
Letter C is for Cat Preschool Craft
All About Cats LESSON
I do hope you use this Letter C is for Cat lesson. Kids love it! If you have taught C is for Cat recently and need something else try my C is for Caterpillar Craft and Very Hungry Caterpillar Graphing Activity for preschoolers.